Nashua, New Hampshire, is a vibrant city located in Hillsborough County. Known for its rich history, scenic beauty, and diverse cultural offerings, Nashua is an ideal destination for travelers seeking a mix of urban attractions and natural splendor. From exploring historic sites to indulging in outdoor adventures, this article presents a comprehensive guide to the 20 best things to do in Nashua. Whether you’re a history buff, an outdoor enthusiast, or a food lover, Nashua has something to offer for everyone.
Visit the Mine Falls Park
Nestled along the banks of the Nashua River, Mine Falls Park is a 325-acre urban oasis. Offering picturesque views, walking trails, and opportunities for kayaking and fishing, this park is a favorite among locals and visitors alike. Take a stroll, enjoy a picnic, or rent a kayak to explore the serene waters.
Explore the Historic Holman Stadium
Sports enthusiasts will appreciate a visit to the historic Holman Stadium. Built-in 1937, this iconic ballpark has hosted numerous baseball games and remains a beloved landmark. Catch a Nashua Silver Knights game during the summer or attend other events and concerts at this iconic venue.
Discover History at the Florence H. Speare Memorial Museum
Immerse yourself in Nashua’s past by visiting Florence H. Speare Memorial Museum. Housed in a beautiful historic mansion, the museum showcases exhibits highlighting the city’s rich history, including its industrial heritage and significant contributions to the nation’s economy. Learn about Nashua’s textile mills, explore artifacts, and gain insights into the city’s evolution.
Stroll Through Greeley Park
Escape the hustle and bustle of the city by taking a stroll through Greeley Park. With its beautifully landscaped gardens, serene walking paths, and tranquil pond, this park offers a peaceful retreat for nature lovers. Pack a picnic, read a book under the shade of a tree, or simply enjoy the beauty of the surroundings.
Experience the Beauty of the Nashua River Rail Trail
Outdoor enthusiasts will delight in the Nashua River Rail Trail, a scenic pathway that spans 12 miles and connects Nashua with neighboring towns. Perfect for walking, jogging, or biking, the trail winds through picturesque landscapes, including woodlands, wetlands, and the scenic Nashua River. Take in the natural beauty, spot wildlife, and savor the serenity of this well-maintained trail.
Step Back in Time at the Abbot-Spalding House
User:Magicpiano, CC BY 2.0, via Wikimedia Commons
Explore the Abbot-Spalding House, a historic site that offers a glimpse into Nashua’s past. Built-in 1824, this elegant Federal-style mansion showcases period furnishings, decorative arts, and exhibits that highlight the lives of the families who once called it home. Guided tours provide fascinating insights into this stately residence’s architectural significance and historical importance.
Sample Local Flavors at the Nashua Farmers Market
If you’re a food lover, don’t miss the chance to visit the Nashua Farmers Market. Held from May through October, this vibrant market brings together local vendors offering fresh produce, artisanal products, baked goods, and much more. Sample the region’s flavors, engage with local farmers and artisans, and experience the community spirit that permeates this lively market.
Discover Art at the Nashua Area Artists’ Association
Art enthusiasts will appreciate visiting the Nashua Area Artists’ Association (NAAA) in the historic Hunt Memorial Building. This non-profit organization aims to promote and support local artists, providing them a platform to exhibit their work. Explore the rotating exhibits, participate in workshops, or even purchase a unique piece of art to take home as a souvenir.
Experience Live Performances at the Nashua Symphony Orchestra
For a memorable cultural experience, attend a performance by the Nashua Symphony Orchestra. As the oldest professional orchestra in the state, the symphony delivers exceptional concerts throughout the year, showcasing a diverse repertoire that appeals to classical music enthusiasts of all ages. Immerse yourself in the power of live music and witness the talent of local and visiting musicians.
Unwind at the Mine Falls Sculpture Park
Art and nature come together at the Mine Falls Sculpture Park, located adjacent to the Mine Falls Park. This unique outdoor gallery features a collection of sculptures created by local artists, transforming the park into an open-air museum. Take a leisurely walk along the designated paths, appreciate the creativity of the artwork, and marvel at the harmony between nature and artistic expression.
Explore Aviation History at the Nashua Airport Control Tower and Museum
Aviation enthusiasts should make a beeline for the Nashua Airport Control Tower and Museum. Located at the Nashua Municipal Airport, this museum offers a fascinating glimpse into the history of aviation in the region. Discover vintage aircraft, explore interactive exhibits, and learn about the evolution of flight through engaging displays.
Indulge in Retail Therapy at the Pheasant Lane Mall
Shopaholics will be in their element at the Pheasant Lane Mall, Nashua’s premier shopping destination. With over 135 stores, including major retailers, specialty boutiques, and a variety of dining options, this mall caters to all tastes and preferences. Spend the day browsing the shops, catching a movie, or savoring a delicious meal at one of the many restaurants.
Experience Thrills at the SkyVenture New Hampshire
For an adrenaline rush, head to SkyVenture New Hampshire, an indoor skydiving facility that offers a safe and exhilarating experience for all ages. Feel the sensation of freefalling in a vertical wind tunnel under the guidance of certified instructors. Whether you’re a seasoned skydiver or a first-timer, this thrilling activity promises an unforgettable adventure.
Unleash Creativity at the Canvas Roadshow
Tap into your artistic side by attending a painting session at the Canvas Roadshow. No prior experience is required as friendly instructors guide participants through the process of creating their masterpieces. Choose from various themes, sip on your favorite beverage, and enjoy a fun-filled evening of painting and socializing with friends or fellow participants.
Play a Round of Golf at the Overlook Golf Club
Golf enthusiasts will appreciate the Overlook Golf Club, an 18-hole championship course that offers stunning views of the surrounding landscape. Challenge yourself on well-manicured fairways, navigate through water hazards and bunkers, and enjoy golf in a picturesque setting.
Attend Events at the Nashua Riverwalk
The Nashua Riverwalk is a vibrant downtown area that hosts various events throughout the year. From live music performances and art festivals to seasonal celebrations and community gatherings, there’s always something happening on the Riverwalk. Check the event calendar and join in the festivities to experience the city’s lively spirit.
Savor Culinary Delights at Local Restaurants
Nashua boasts a thriving culinary scene with an array of restaurants serving diverse cuisines. From farm-to-table establishments to international flavors, food enthusiasts will find a wide range of options to satisfy their taste buds. Indulge in fresh seafood, sample local craft beers, or enjoy global fare prepared by talented chefs who showcase the region’s culinary prowess.
Explore History at the Hillsborough County Historical Society
Delve deeper into the region’s history by visiting the Hillsborough County Historical Society. Located in the historic Greeley House, this museum offers exhibits that chronicle the county’s past, including its role in the American Revolution and its contributions to industry and commerce. Engage with artifacts, photographs, and historical documents that shed light on the area’s heritage.
Attend Live Performances at the Nashua Theatre Guild
Experience the magic of live theater at the Nashua Theatre Guild, a community-based organization dedicated to showcasing local talent. From classic plays and musicals to contemporary productions, the guild’s performances entertain audiences and provide a platform for aspiring actors, directors, and technicians to hone their skills.
Enjoy Outdoor Recreation at the Nashua Country Club
Golf, swimming, and tennis await at the Nashua Country Club, a private recreational facility offering various amenities. Play a round of golf on the well-manicured course, take a dip in the pool, or enjoy a friendly tennis match on the courts. Membership options are available for those interested in experiencing the club’s offerings.
What Are Some Good Things to Do in Nashua with Kids?
Nashua, New Hampshire, is a city that offers a multitude of family-friendly activities and attractions, making it an ideal destination for a memorable vacation with kids. From engaging educational experiences to thrilling outdoor adventures, Nashua has something to entertain children of all ages. Here are some of the best things to do in Nashua with kids:
- Visit the SEE Science Center: The SEE Science Center is a hands-on museum that offers interactive exhibits, allowing kids to explore the wonders of science and technology. From building structures with giant Tinker Toys to experimenting with magnets and electricity, children can engage in fun and educational activities that stimulate their curiosity.
- Explore the Children’s Museum of New Hampshire: Located just a short drive from Nashua, the Children’s Museum of New Hampshire offers a range of exhibits designed to inspire learning through play. Kids can engage in imaginative role-playing, explore a giant ant hill, create art, and discover the world through interactive exhibits.
- Splash around at FunWorld: FunWorld is an indoor amusement park that features an array of attractions, including arcade games, bumper cars, mini-golf, and a water park. Kids can enjoy hours of fun and excitement, rain or shine, making it a perfect destination for a day of family entertainment.
- Discover wildlife at the Animal Adventures Family Zoo: Located in nearby Bolton, Massachusetts, the Animal Adventures Family Zoo provides a unique opportunity for children to get up close and personal with various animals. Kids can pet and feed farm animals, learn about exotic species, and even have the chance to hold reptiles under the guidance of knowledgeable staff.
- Enjoy outdoor fun at Benson Park: Benson Park is a picturesque park with beautiful gardens, walking trails, and playgrounds. Kids can run, climb, and play on the playground equipment or enjoy a leisurely family picnic surrounded by nature’s beauty.
- Experience nature at Greeley Park: Greeley Park, located in the heart of Nashua, offers ample space for children to run and play. With its open fields, walking paths, and serene pond, this park is perfect for outdoor exploration and family bonding.
- Take a family bike ride: Nashua has a network of bike-friendly trails, including the Nashua River Rail Trail and Mine Falls Park. Rent bikes or bring your own and embark on a family-friendly biking adventure, enjoying the area’s scenic beauty while staying active.
- Attend family-friendly events: Nashua hosts various family-oriented events throughout the year, including festivals, concerts, and parades. Check the local event calendar to see what’s happening during your visit and participate in the festivities with your kids.
- Nashua offers a wealth of opportunities for family fun and memorable experiences. Whether you’re engaging in educational activities, enjoying outdoor adventures, or attending community events, the city ensures that kids have a fantastic time while creating lasting memories with their families.
What Are Some Things to Do in Nashua at Night?
When the sun sets, Nashua, New Hampshire, offers a range of activities and attractions that keep the city alive and vibrant. Whether you’re looking for entertainment, nightlife, or a quiet evening out, here are some things to do in Nashua at night:
- Catch a Show at the Nashua Performing Arts Center: The Nashua Performing Arts Center hosts a variety of live performances, including plays, musicals, concerts, and comedy shows. Enjoy an evening of entertainment and immerse yourself in the city’s vibrant cultural scene.
- Explore the Downtown Dining Scene: Nashua’s downtown area is dotted with an array of restaurants, bars, and cafes. Indulge in a culinary adventure by sampling local cuisine, enjoying craft cocktails, or savoring delicious desserts. From upscale dining establishments to cozy eateries, there’s something to suit every palate.
- Visit Craft Breweries and Bars: Nashua is home to several craft breweries and bars that offer a diverse selection of locally brewed beers and spirits. Take a brewery tour, sample a flight of beers, or enjoy live music at one of the many establishments that cater to beer enthusiasts and nightlife seekers.
- Enjoy a Nighttime Stroll along the Nashua Riverwalk: The Nashua Riverwalk offers a serene and picturesque setting for an evening stroll. Enjoy the twinkling lights and scenic views of the river as you take a leisurely walk along the pathway. The Riverwalk often hosts events and live performances, adding to the enchantment of the nighttime experience.
- Test Your Skills at Escape Rooms: Challenge yourself and your friends with an evening of brain-teasing fun at one of Nashua’s escape rooms. Work together to solve puzzles, unravel mysteries, and escape within a given time limit. It’s a thrilling and immersive activity that guarantees an unforgettable night out.
- Bowl the Night Away: Head to a local bowling alley for a fun-filled evening of strikes and spares. Enjoy some friendly competition, grab a bite to eat, and create lasting memories with family and friends.
- Catch a Movie at a Local Theater: Sit back, relax, and enjoy the latest blockbusters or independent films at one of Nashua’s movie theaters. Whether you prefer mainstream cinemas or cozy arthouse venues, there are options to cater to every moviegoer’s preferences.
From live performances and vibrant nightlife to relaxing strolls and engaging activities, Nashua offers diverse options for an enjoyable evening out. Embrace the city’s charm and create lasting memories as you explore its nighttime offerings.
What Is Nashua, NH, Famous for?
Nashua, New Hampshire, is famous for several reasons, from its historical significance to its vibrant cultural scene. Here are some of the factors that contribute to Nashua’s fame:
- Industrial Heritage: Nashua played a pivotal role in the industrial revolution, particularly in the textile industry. The city was once home to numerous textile mills that produced cotton and woolen goods, earning Nashua the nickname “The Gate City.” This rich industrial history has left a lasting impact on the city’s identity.
- Historic Landmarks: Nashua boasts several historical landmarks that attract visitors from near and far. The Florence H. Speare Memorial Museum, housed in a beautiful historic mansion, showcases the city’s industrial heritage and offers a glimpse into its past. The Abbot-Spalding House, a Federal-style mansion built in 1824, provides insights into the architectural and historical significance of the region.
- Scenic Beauty: Nashua is blessed with natural beauty, thanks to its location along the Nashua River and its proximity to stunning parks and outdoor spaces. Mine Falls Park, with its expansive green areas, walking trails, and serene waterways, is a popular destination for outdoor enthusiasts. The Nashua River Rail Trail, a scenic pathway that winds through picturesque landscapes, offers breathtaking views and opportunities for outdoor recreation.
- Cultural Offerings: Nashua boasts a vibrant cultural scene, with various artistic and cultural institutions contributing to its fame. The Nashua Area Artists’ Association, the Nashua Symphony Orchestra, and the Nashua Theatre Guild showcase the talent and creativity of local artists, musicians, and actors. The city also hosts events such as art festivals, live music performances, and community celebrations throughout the year.
- Educational Opportunities: Nashua is home to reputable educational institutions, including Nashua Community College and Rivier University. These institutions provide quality education and contribute to the city’s reputation as a hub for academic pursuits.
- Economic Growth: Nashua’s strategic location, excellent infrastructure, and business-friendly environment have attracted diverse industries and companies. The city has experienced significant economic growth, with thriving sectors such as technology, healthcare, and manufacturing contributing to its fame as a dynamic business community.
Nashua, New Hampshire, has established its fame through its historical heritage, scenic beauty, cultural offerings, educational opportunities, and economic growth. Whether you’re interested in exploring its history, immersing yourself in its cultural scene, or enjoying its natural surroundings, Nashua offers a unique blend of attractions and experiences that have made it a renowned destination.
Nashua, New Hampshire, is a city that seamlessly blends its rich history, natural beauty, and vibrant culture. With its array of outdoor recreational opportunities, cultural attractions, and culinary delights, Nashua offers an unforgettable experience for visitors of all ages and interests. Whether exploring the city’s parks and trails, immersing yourself in its history and art, or savoring its culinary delights, Nashua’s charm will captivate you. So, plan your visit to Nashua and embark on an adventure with a perfect blend of relaxation, exploration, and entertainment
Explore the 20 best things to do in Nashua, NH, in our comprehensive guide. Ensure the most enjoyable vacation experience today!